This project involved:
Case Study Background
OxBikes, operated by local start-up company Byke Limited, is an affordable bike rental service which started operating from the forecourt of Oxford station in July 2023.
Already established from a site in the Said Business School, adjacent to the station, the company offered short and long-term cycle hire options, primarily targeting the local student population. Given Oxford’s booming tourist trade, the company identified a need to offer the cycle hire service to visitors to the city.
A bank of cycle racks at the front of the station was identified and agreement reached with GWR station staff and other stakeholders to convert this small number of publicly available racks to a commercial bike renting operation, which has proven to be a success.
- Working with the Tenant and GWR station staff to identify a potential trading site
- Liaising with GWR stakeholders and other interested parties to agree to use of the racks for commercial purposes, ensuring there was no detrimental reduction in free customer cycle storage facilities on the station
- Liaising with the client’s solicitors to agree the licence
- Supporting a local start-up company to grow and further establish their business
- Introduced a new brand to the GWR portfolio
- Providing an enhanced cycle renting facility for station customers and visitors and tourist to Oxford city
- Promoting environmentally friendly mode of transport which fits with Oxford City’s sustainability targets