This project involved:
Case Study Background
The construction layout of Bath Spa station is such that there are a number of arches within the main station building which are used for a variety of purposes. Arch 37, located in the booking hall and adjacent to the main ticket office, was being used by the station as a uniform store and was identified as ideal for conversion to retail.
In early 2019, TPT approached a number of local retailers to gauge interest in the opportunity. The Jolly Hog Group, a Bristol-based family run independent caterer that specialises in high-quality pork food products sourced exclusively from RSPCA Assured accredited farms, submitted designs to convert the arch. This would be the company’s first venture into station retail and terms were subsequently agreed.
As Bath Spa is grade II listed, the tenant was required to submit a listed building application, and this was lodged to the council in August 2019 and subsequently approved in October. Some delays with the granting of Landlords Consent from Network Rail pushed the start of the fitout into early 2020 and the tenant started onsite in mid-February and commenced trading in mid-March to a very positive reception from customers and station staff alike.
- Analysis of local market to identify potential suitable retailers, focusing on local SMEs to complement the existing branded offers on the station, some of which were lacking in investment
- Liaised with GWR to secure DfT approval for the granting of a 6-year lease term, which was beyond the term of GWR’s station lease and franchise.
- Attended pre-start meeting with the tenant, contractors and GWR station and estates staff to ensure any operational issues were resolved, prior to the tenant going on site
- Assisted the tenant with coverage of their opening through TPT social media channels
- Jolly Hog delivered a high-quality shopfit which has set a new benchmark for SME retailers on Bath Spa station and across the portfolio
- Incremental income now being generated for the client from what was previously a store room