This project involved:
Case Study Background
Coventry Station is one of the fastest growing in the country. The existing station could not be expanded to create sufficient future capacity because of its listed building status so a new station building was constructed to operate in parallel with the existing station.
The new station building incorporated five retail units.
- Retail unit 2 is the anchor for the new station building at 239m2 and with an external frontage at the main entrance to the concourse.
- TPT advised on potential uses for this flagship unit and then conducted a targeted marketing campaign aimed at securing a bluechip tenant with a proven track record of operating in a station environment.
- We undertook detailed lease negotiations with Sainsburys and agreed a long term lease to provide a secure income for our client.
- Working with Avanti, Coventry Council (the developer of the new station) and Network Rail we resolved several practical issues such as upgrading the power supply to the unit and allocating retail and waste storage space.
- Amey TPT project managed the consents and retail fit out process on behalf of Avanti.
- Significant new retail income stream for Avanti
- Secured a high quality retail brand for the new station with brand synergies with Avanti
- Created a convenience store offer not just for users of Coventry Station but also for the current and future occupants of the adjacent Greyfriars development and the nearby Earlsdon residential area. In doing so brought the station to the centre of the local community.
- Created new local employment opportunities.
- This flagship letting to Sainsburys will create footfall to the new station building helping to support the other tenants soon to arrive in the building.
- Retail fit out completed without any inconvenience to the operation of the station.