This project involved:
Case Study Background
Café Destino opened their first coffee shop on platform 4 at Basingstoke station in 2007.
The product offer and high quality fit out met the landlord’s aspirations in enhancing the overall travel experience. With the business proving successful, Destino opened their second premises at Eastleigh platform 2-3 shortly afterwards beginning their journey of organic and sustainable retail expansion.
- Using AmeyTPT benchmark analysis across rail portfolios, sales from Café Destino were in the upper quartile of retailers trading on rail estates when categorised in terms of spend per passenger.
- In 2009/10 following an informal tender process, AmeyTPT agreed terms with Destino at Winchester. AmeyTPT liaised with the tenant’s shopfitters, submitted Landlord consent applications, conducted pre-start meetings leading to the former Travel Centre being brought into retail use.
- Further leases were agreed with the tenant over a six-year period. During this time the tenant developed their brand portfolio to include a new convenience concept. These were located at Andover, Farnborough, Fleet, Wokingham. Additional satellite sites were identified at Basingstoke and Winchester which complimented the original Destino sites these resulted in incremental sales being achieved from these stations.
- The partnership of Destino, AmeyTPT and train operator has continued to flourish creating a local hero on the North Hampshire Station portfolio
- Income Year 1 a rental uplift at Farnborough of 49%, was achieved. The uplifts at Wokingham and Fleet following new lettings to Destino increased by 132% and 97% respectively.
- The tenant has continually evolved the product range in line with customer expectations. In a post Covid environment, the retailer is working on a refresh and new vision to take the brand and customer offer forward.