South West Trains
Case Study Portfolio Commercialisation & Estate Management – South Western Trains
AmeyTPT has managed the Stagecoach Southwestern Trains portfolio for over 9 years
Key facts and figures
· 185 stations
· 140% revenue growth
· Step change in the provision of facilities and services for passengers
Background, Objectives and Scope
Amey TPT was awarded a property management and leasing contract in 2007 through a competitive tender exercise, and has been renewed through to the franchise expiry in 2017. Amey TPT was engaged as part of the Stagecoach Team who has bid for the new franchise competition run by DfT. The estate comprises 185 stations and is an extremely diverse ranging from busy urban interchanges such as Clapham Junction (54.8m passengers including interchange) to key suburban feeder towns like Woking (9.2m passengers) to rural locations such with low passenger footfall further South West. SWT passenger demographic is strong with a high percentage of daily commuters to and from London but leisure is an important market particularly off peak.
The implementation of the TPT methodology has resulted in income growth of approximately 140% making the SWT estate currently the most lucrative franchise in terms of ancillary income in the UK. This is against a background of tenant leases being protected under the 1954 Landlord and Tenant Act .
Portfolio Highlights: The customer offer on the stations has been radically transformed
- Where it is commercially viable all stations have a manned catering presence and we have identified a further 15 stations where this will be the case before the end of the current franchise
- High profile national brands such as M&S Simply Food, Sainsbury’s, Caffe Nero, Costa Coffee, West Cornwall Pasty Co, Paperchase and Bagel Factory have been introduced alongside local heroes sourced by Amey TPT from high streets and markets across the franchise area – We have introduced the UK’s smallest pub at Claygate Station
- Ongoing audits of surplus operational space have continually identified incremental space that can be utilised for commercial exploitation.
- 32 additional ATMs have been introduced during this franchise
- It is estimated that 1000 new jobs have been created as a direct result of this approach
- We minimise internal resourcing by also managing utility meter reading, recharging and collection and also charges for tenant waste collection. We also provide building surveying resources to manage all tenants works on behalf of our client.